Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Quinoa stuffed Chicken.



My husband has been asking for stuffed chicken for a long time, he is fan of stuffing, and wanted it again even though Christmas is so recently behind us (I have actually made stuffing since, my first attempt at quinoa stuffing, we just didn't have a bird to stuff). I have had a hankering for a stuffed chicken since I was chatting with my Moosonee father of 3 friend about a recipe for quinoa stuffing from my new book Quinoa 365. Today was the day we all got what we wanted! I have actually lent my recipe book to my neighbour for some browsing so I was on my own with the quinoa stuffing, that being said I already knew I wanted to make it my own anyway so I wasn't too concerned. 

This stuffing had bacon in it (left over from the twice baked potatoes), crimini mushrooms and leeks and then the usual herbs, and quinoa. I added the quinoa to the ingredients after they had been sauteed and then added stock and let it all cook together until the quinoa was ready. I actually made this the day before so it was ready to go into the chicken today when I was pushed for time. I also had a bowl of stuffing separate in the oven for use if I wasn't too confident in the stuff that was stuffed into the bird. With a chicken not taking that long to cook I was worried that perhaps there would be some blood still in the carcass that would make the stuffing risky to eat. However, if that happens, a quick trip in the microwave should cure any problems. The chicken was so moist and the skin so crunchy! It was perfect! The stuffing was a great accompaniment too, with the bit of smoky flavour from the bacon and the leeks were a great substitute for onions for a change. 

I served this with plain rice and steamed cauliflower and green beans and gravy. 

We are both raving about the quinoa stuffing. You really can make it however you want to, with whatever you want to, and stuff it into anything - chicken thighs, chicken breasts, pork tenderloin, portobello mushrooms, peppers etc. Or have it as a side to any dish either. I actually remember making a really tasty stuffed portobello mushroom over the Summer that had quinoa, blue cheese, shallot and spinach in it! The options are endless. 

No comments:

Post a Comment