Monday, January 17, 2011

Fried tomatoes.

I had a tomato on the windowsill that was in need of eating, it was feeling a little softer to the touch than it should have! I have always been a fan of cooked tomatoes, there is something about the way they catch and slightly burn that makes them taste so good! You can either grill or fry them, I find my frying pan easier to clean than my grill so I went with the easiest washing option, as usual. You don't need much oil, but you do need some or the tomato will stick to the pan and tear apart when you turn it. Cut the tomato into 3 or 4 pieces depending on how big it is, start by slicing off the side and work your way through it, like you are making large slices, and they need to be thick to maintain their shape as they cook, at least 1cm thick or more. Fry them for a couple of minutes a side, until it has some nice blackened patches and you can smell them, then they are ready. I eat them on toast, and being a fan of marmite, the toast has marmite on it too! I understand there is a love hate relationship with marmite, so if you like it, try it with tomatoes, or any version of marmite for that matter, vegemite, bovril etc. If you are not a fan, plain buttered toast will do, or not buttered if you are being careful with the fat intake. I find a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper do the tomato a world of good. You can keep the tomatoes in pieces as you eat it or you can mush it all up on the toast and make it go a bit soggy. I believe when I was a child and had the mumps this was all I would eat because it would go really soggy if you left it long enough and then didn't hurt when I ate it. Seems the relationship was more than a convenience because I still love them to this day!

I know you can fry green tomatoes but that is something I have never done before, and I think they may have a batter on them or maybe flour..? Something to go and research and think about trying me thinks!

No comments:

Post a Comment