Friday, January 28, 2011

Brown rice and vegetable soup.



I couldn't for the life of me figure out what I felt like eating, still not being quite right and all, but I knew I wanted carrots. Eventually the idea of soup formed and I pulled out some unused veggies from the fridge like turnip and cabbage and some cooked brown rice and just went with it. 

I started by frying a cut up onion in olive oil, and to this I added 3 large, peeled and sliced carrots ( I ate some on the way, and carrots vary in size, use whatever you want to really ) and about 3/4 cup cubed, peeled turnip ( this was all there was and it was getting used by hook or by crook, so again, use whatever you want to ). I let these cook a little while I sliced up some cabbage thinly, and I used probably 1-1 1/2 cups of cabbage ( I did have more to use but any more and it would have been drowning in cabbage ). I found my fresh thyme from the other day and nearly finished it in the soup, maybe a tsp of Italian seasoning, a couple shakes of dried rosemary and 2 bay leaves. To this I added 1 box of vegetable stock, which I think is 900ml, and a dry vegetable stock cube for more flavour. And some pepper and salt. I let this come to the boil and simmered it until the carrots and turnip were cooked. I was thinking that the soup should have some tomato in it, and I opted for a can of condensed tomato soup (Heinz), but I think adding cut up tomatoes or canned tomatoes would be a good idea too if you don't have the soup, just add until you are happy with the colour or ratio. I had a can of lentils, I know it is not as good, or financially efficient, as the dried kind but I rarely use them and had an impulse to buy a can when we did groceries the other day. So, I drained the lentils and rinsed them and put a cup of them into the soup and the rest into the fridge for some other day ( I hope I can think of a way to use them!? ).  I also added the rice at this stage, maybe up to 2 cups would work. I had to add some more water as the soup was so thick. If you have more veggies or rice adjust your liquid accordingly, or if there is less, use less liquid or let it reduce down. It doesn't matter how much you use so long as you keep tasting it to see if it tastes good and then add some more seasoning if needed or water it down if you over did the seasoning. Any herbs, fresh or dry would work here, and of course other veggies can go in it too. It is a great way to use up vegetables that you have hanging around. 

I loved the heartiness of the soup, it was so laden with goodies that you had to fish to the bottom for them all. The Winter vegetables were so sweet, and with the tomato addition it was wonderful. Having the brown rice in there made it even more filling. It felt so good eating it knowing it was packed full of good for you vegetables and herbs! You could add any left over bits of meat to this if you don't like the absence of meat, left over roast chicken or beef, or even quickly fry up some boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts and slice them into the soup. However you like. Soup is a great way of clearing out your fridge so go with it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment