Sunday, January 23, 2011

Crepes with lemon juice and sugar or Nutella.

I decided on trying crepes for breakfast today instead of pancakes, brunch rather. It is pretty much the same ingredients with no raising agent. I quickly found a recipe on line and set to. I think the batter was a little thick as they didn't spread out as much as I would have liked, or maybe my pan was too hot and they were cooking before they had time to spread out. Either way, they weren't as thin as your traditional crepes but they tasted great. 



You can see swirl like markings in this crepe, which was where I had ladled in the batter and when it wouldn't spread properly when I tipped the pan I had to ladle more in to fill the gaps! No harm done at all. 

We used to eat these growing up on Shrove Tuesday (Pancake Tuesday) and I remember my Dad trying to flip them in the air and catch them again. The tradition continued when I moved to the UK to live with my Grandparents, I am sure this was where the tradition started for my Mum. We would always eat them with lemon juice and sugar, rolled up and cut into sections so everyone could eat them as they were being made. 



The lemon juice and sugar version is really light and fresh, and lets the flavour and texture of the crepe really come through as it is all a gentle balance of flavours. I tried one with a thin spreading of Nutella and it was delicious, but anything with chocolate is. In this version I didn't taste the crepe per say more just the Nutella, which is why I prefer the lemon and sugar one. My husband ate one with maple syrup, but he poured some syrup onto the plate and dipped a rolled up crepe into it rather than covering it in it. He noticed that he ate much less syrup this way and that is a good reason to opt for these over pancakes. They also didn't taste very oily as little was needed in the cooking process, a smattering initially then none from then on. It felt like a lighter version of a weekend breakfast.



In this picture you can see how thick they were. And how pretty they are when you roll them up and cut them into bite size pieces. In no way did their thickness take away from them being tasty. I may try to thin out the batter a bit next time to see how it goes just out of curiosity. I remember the ones we ate used to be a lot larger, filling a frying pan, so this will be my goal next time. 

Recipe used:
1 cup flour
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp butter, melted. 

Mix flour and egg. Slowly add liquids, stirring as you go. Add salt and butter and beat till smooth. Cook in 1/4 cup size portions of batter. Flip when golden, remove when 2nd side golden. 

No comments:

Post a Comment