Saturday, January 8, 2011

Dim Sum in China Town.

We went to China Town last night for a dim sum experience. My bacon parcel friend, who says I can name her, so Megan, was taking us to a spot she found and is very fond of. The place we went to is the kind of place you would walk right past without any interest, most likely, if you were looking for somewhere to eat. The front is a bakery. Even if you went into the bakery you may never know that in the back of that is a restuarant that serves great dim sum! So, definitely a word of mouth place, I consider this my part done on that front. 

You are presented with a paper menu that you tick off, or write a quantity next to, each item that you want. The great thing is that the most expensive thing on here is $3.20 and they all come in 3 or 4 pieces, sometimes more if it is a roll cut up, so everyone can try all of it! Hang on, just seen something that is $4, deep fried crab claws (2). Anyway, you get the point. I think we spent just under $42 on food there for 3 of us and we probably over ate, and we didn't finish all of what we had either (one dish was not a hit, and another I admit, I ate part of but left the rest). There is a great selection of steamed dumplings, pan fried dumplings, deep fried ones, all kinds of rice rolls, steamed buns filled with various things (these were not my favourite but are a huge hit with everyone else, a sweet bun with a meat filling), bowls of rice topped with various things, even 'chicken feet in chef's sauce'! There was also a regular, non dim sum, menu which we ordered steamed Chinese broccoli off which was very good too. Another great thing, aside from the huge variety of different textures and flavours, is the sauces you get to dip into, hot, soy, spicy mustard etc. 


These were one of my favourites, deep fried shrimp parcels.


Steamed meat and vegetable dumplings.


Steamed shrimp dumplings.


Mushroom and vegetable roll.


Pan fried pork dumplings.


Steamed buns with various fillings. Hard to tell from the picture but it is a white, soft, fluffy textured 'bun', not a regular bun. I am not too sure what it is made from, but I have just done some online research and it seems very similar to making bread just that the steaming of it instead of baking must make it stay extremely well risen and moist. You can find all kinds of recipes for making these online if you are interested. 

I was then too busy eating to take pictures of the rest of it, chicken wings, vegetable spring rolls, steamed broccoli and the one we didn't particularly like doesn't look very nice either so I didn't bother putting that picture up. Then there was a pause before eating this egg custard tart that Megan insisted we try, and I had time to remember to take a picture of it. This tart is smooth and creamy. We have a similar variety in the UK, called the same thing, it is a little more rich and creamy and has cinnamon on it , very tasty, one of my Grandfather's favourites! 


And so ended the dim sum experience. I would definitely go back here, and feel more confident in the ordering process. I would opt for several solid favourites and then experiment with a couple new ones. They are open all day, till about 8:30pm and apparently dim sum is traditionally a breakfast dish, maybe lunch, though I think I would still repeat it as dinner as I can't get my head around it for breakfast, yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment