Sunday, January 2, 2011

Pork tenderloin.



We haven't had pork for a couple of weeks (bar the bacon on the nachos) so I picked up a tenderloin when we were shopping the other day. I find this cut is great value for money, often around $5 for a tenderloin, making this nice cut of meat really affordable. I seasoned it and sealed it in a pan for about 5mins, until it was slightly brown on the outside, then transferred it to a foiled baking tray that had some bbq sauce on it as a bed for the meat. I drizzled a bit more bbq sauce on top of the meat and covered it in foil so that the meat would sort of steam in there and stay really moist. It took about 45mins at 450degrees to cook till it was just done, running clear juices. In the mean time I peeled a sweet potato and cut it up along with a couple of yellow potatoes that still had their skins on and boiled them until they were very soft. After draining the water I added some milk and a little low fat sour cream (that was still left in the fridge from nachos the other day) and some pepper and salt and mashed them into a somewhat rustic mash rather than a smooth puree. In the same pan that I sealed the tenderloin in, I fried up a small onion, added some frozen peas and pepper and let them cook with a little of the potato water that I drained (couple table spoons, not a lot!). Near the end I threw in the last of the bacon bits I had remaining from the nacho dish we'd had a couple days earlier. I really like cooking peas this way, there is something about just frying them out of their frozen state and into a just done, fresh, ready to eat state that doesn't see them losing any flavour or colour that can sometimes happen if you let them over boil. The meal was very easy to make, and by the time the meat was ready everything else was too. Hearty way to start the new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment