Monday, January 17, 2011

Fresh blueberries for a pie.

Another great find at Costco, a huge box of blueberries for $4.50. Another thing I couldn't resist. We had home made pie for dinner last night. 

I really noticed a difference in pie made from frozen berries and one made from fresh berries. I did my usual internet search for recipes to get a rough idea of things and then got to it. Very simple, especially if you have pie shells that you just bought from the store and don't have to make pastry. A few cut corners I will admit. Anyway, it was as easy as tossing the berries with some sugar and a tiny bit of cornstarch to help it thicken as it cooked. Being a fan of lemon I followed the idea of one recipe that used about 1tbsp of lemon zest and I think it called for 1tsp of lemon juice but I used more. I also used less sugar than most recipes call for, and you could really taste the berries instead of just a sweet flavour. There was the tartness of the berries and the lemon tang which worked really well together. I didn't like the way the cornstarch made 'glupey' bundles in the pie, I think I will try using flour instead next time and see if makes a difference. The berries held their shape fairly well too, so it wasn't a berry mush. I normally insist on plain whipped cream with most desserts because you don't really need more sweet with your sweet, but because the pie was so tart we put a little brown sugar and vanilla into the cream and it really enhanced the dish. 


No comments:

Post a Comment