Thursday, December 30, 2010

Terroni's for Italian cuisine with friends from Moosonee.

I was excited to introduce some out of town friends to Terroni's, though a little apprehensive that they wouldn't find something on the menu that would fit with their dietary and personal taste restrictions. Is that a well sugar coated way of saying that I love you but you have a lot of things that you don't like to eat? (xox) Moving on..

I think everyone thoroughly enjoyed their mains! We had a Tagliatelle with traditional Bolognaise and Parmigiano, Pappardelle with button and oyster mushrooms, sausage, peas and garlic, a third pasta dish of Rigatoni with spicy sausage and tomato sauce and then a pizza with sweet Genoa salami and mozzarella. My husband and I had shared a lovely salad to start (Ricchia) that had Arugula, mushrooms, Parmigiano shavings with lemon juice and olive oil which was very fresh (and looked like dandelion leaves to someone)! The parm. shavings were huge and the cheese was of such a fine quality. The pizza is extremely thin giving you equal portions of base to topping and meaning that it is light and crispy and doesn't leave you feeling defeated with a belly full of dough! The pasta portions were what you should eat, not what you could eat! 


My dish had the spicy sausage in it, and you've been warned, it is hot!! And I couldn't get enough of it! The ratios of sauce to pasta were perfect, not too dry, not drowning, and the pasta is made fresh daily in the kitchen. Can you ask for more than home made staples and the finest quality ingredients which they import from all over?! The dishes aren't too complicated, leaving the spotlight for the ingredients to shine in. 



I'll be honest now, my bowl of Spaghetti with Bolognaise sauce at home has never looked like the above picture. And why not?! If you have pasta this fresh and this good why would you smother it in huge quantities of sauce! Lesson learnt! (I am sure my husband will disagree here!)

My photos of the dessert course did not turn out well, however, there really is only one that I want to wax lyrical about! We have had it before and it did not disappoint this time round! 'Affogati'! A scoop of home made gelato in a bowl, drizzled with melted chocolate and then they pour a shot of Espresso over it! Wow! Only the outer part of the scoop melts, so you get a wonderful espresso/gelato soup into which you dip your spoonful of gelato with crunchy chocolate that has frozen onto it! Or into which you dip all the other desserts on the table because it tastes so wonderful! After dinner coffee and dessert all in one! A must! I was desperate to get 'ganache' into this entry because there was such an 'issue' with it over dinner - mainly my husband wanting to know what it is and when I told him, not believing me, and deciding he didn't like the sound of it, then when the waitress explained it to him he changed his mind and decided he did like it!) 'Gnashing' of teeth and shaking of head followed!

Non of us were wine drinkers but the wine menu is extensive. The beer drinkers were happy with their beers and the Coke and Limonata come in mini glass bottles. There is such a relaxed, family environment and the food is so wonderful that you don't mind waiting in a long line of people. We were there at 6pm and waited about 20minutes for a table, and my husband and I have been there at 9:30/10pm and waited for at least half an hr! And hundreds of people do, and will continue to, wait for tables here because the experience is so good. 

*See the link to this restuarant's website on the main page of my Blog under Toronto 'Eating & Drinking' Recommendations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment