Wednesday, December 8, 2010

BBQ chicken and oriental vegetables.

I had a whole chicken to cook and couldn't decide between bbq style or lemon and herbs. My husband picked bbq and I was in the mood for a sweeter version so the decision was made! Bbq, as in bbq sauce, not necessarily cooked on the Bbq! So, I lined a tray with foil, drizzled a bit of a Diana sauce over the middle part and laid the chicken down breast up. I then drizzled more sauce over the top of the chicken, not a lot, just zigzag across it. You then cover it completely in foil and seal the edges, this allows the chicken to steam in its own juices keeping it moist and it makes a little bbq sauce go a long way! You cook it for 3/4 of the time like this, then uncover it, add a little salt to crisp the skin, and let it finish cooking uncovered to get that nice crispy finish. About 20mins uncovered is adequate for crisping. I do the same thing when I am cooking bbq drumsticks; majority of the time covered and then finish them off. In line with the 'sweet' theme I had a hankering for, I decided to stir fry bok choy, mushrooms and red onion in garlic, ginger, soy sauce and honey. Just a touch of honey, about a tsp, and there is a lovely oriental flavour with a gentle sweetness. The bok choy bases still had a 'bite' to them which was great! I had a spaghetti squash on the windowsill staring at me, so I steamed some up, added a little butter, pepper and a sprinkle of parmesan to finish it off! Heaven! So creamy! The baked potato was simple, crispy skin, little butter and pepper. All in all, success! The chicken skin actually looked burnt because of the bbq sauce (as it would had it been cooked on the bbq) but it still had a good flavour and was incredibly moist, the breast meat almost fell apart. Excellent combination of flavours and textures. Some of the left over breast meat went straight into a sandwich for my husband's lunch tomorrow; whole wheat bread, mayonnaise, baby spinach, chicken breast and bbq sauce. I noticed he packaged up some sweet pickles to take with it as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment