Monday, December 20, 2010

Prime rib roast beef.


We recently purchased a somewhat fancy meat thermometer, not like 'whistles and bells' fancy but one of those ones that the probe is in the meat and the 'brains' is outside with a little optic wire connecting them that the oven door can close around. I also love the fact that instead of setting a timer you can set a temperature and it 'beeps' once this temperature is reached, fail safe! Until it doesn't work when you switch it on and there's a delightful prime rib roast sitting in front of you begging to be cooked medium rare and no more! Never to be defeated I resorted the old '22 minutes per pound rule' and when my other crappy little 'stick in the meat' thermometer told me it wasn't ready yet I went with my intuitions, and the rough time frame from the old rule, and the meat was perfect! Though now I apparently have two useless thermometers (and maybe no need to replace them?)! I like to cook this roast to 145 degrees (if I have a thermometer that lets me know when that is the case) and then rest it for about 15minutes. It can rest longer than that if you like/need but you will then be eating colder meat. You need lots of salt on the outside to help with making a crust that will keep the juices in and add lots of flavour. 

In keeping with the eating of seasonal vegetables theme we had mini red potatoes and brussel sprouts. I boiled the potatoes until they were just done, then drained them, tossed them in some olive oil, salt, pepper and rosemary and roasted them in the oven at the same time as the beef. Cooking them in advance was useful because the oven is so low (325) when cooking the meat that they wouldn't have been ready at the same time had they gone in raw. It also gives a nice fluffy texture to the potato. I added sliced onions and quartered mushrooms to the meat tray to roast in olive oil along side the meat and soak up a little of the juices. Sometimes I put these straight into my gravy if I want a 'chunky' gravy. Brussel sprouts are just steamed, with the stems trimmed, nasty leaves removed and a 'cross' cut into the base. This was a family method though I believe the reason behind the method is to let heat into the densest part of the vegetable so it all cooks to the same degree. 

I believe that gravy is a fundamental part of a meal, no one wants to drown their beautiful food in a gravy that isn't as beautiful, it is an utter tragedy! There is nothing more to it than tasting and testing! And, I am a true believer in the help of packet gravy if you can lower your pride. Clubhouse do some good, low sodium, varieties that I find taste great when you add your own meat drippings and water from your steamed vegetables and a few other tricks or treats! This gravy had a little ketchup in it (I know, groan out loud if you must, but once you have tried it you will take that groan back, and sneak it into your gravy from now on too!). Just a tbsp is enough, to add flavour, a little sweetness, a little depth, give it a chance. I also added horseradish to this one, makes a great accompaniment to the meal if you actually like the stuff! The gravy packet that was my base was a mushroom one by the way. Other things to try in your gravy are grainy mustard for beef, a wild berry or raspberry jam and/or mint for lamb, apple sauce or cooked apples for pork, and I find Worcestershire sauce is always useful. 

A perfect roast dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment