Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Warm potato salad.


I was rushed to put together a quick lunch today so my husband and I could eat together before he went to work. I was going over what we had in the fridge trying to figure out what to throw together, what needed using up etc and this was what we had. 

I got some new mini red and yellow potatoes cooking whilst I made the basis of the salad. The salad consisted of mixed greens, baby spinach leaves, sliced mushrooms, peeled and sliced cucumber, finely sliced leek, sprouts, sun dried tomato strips, avocado and some grated parmesan. I had read recently about how good sprouts were for you and that you can get them in many different varieties, so on the last grocery run we did I picked up some broccoli sprouts to try. A sprout is literally an infant version of the vegetable you would normally eat so the flavour is just more intense and is quite the salad addition!


Once the potatoes were boiling I added 4 eggs to the pan to cook with them. The eggs were balanced on top of the potatoes rather than submerged in the water where you would normally boil eggs, but this version of 'steaming' eggs seemed to work just fine. When the potatoes were ready, I removed the eggs and broke the shell to stop them from cooking, and drained the potatoes. The dressing had the juice of a lime, a few spoonfuls of mayonnaise, some garlic powder and salt and pepper. You whisk this together to get a runny, yet creamy dressing. Pour this onto the salad and toss it around a bit to get everything coated nicely. Put a serving of the salad on your plate then dot with warm, new potatoes and halved boiled eggs. 

Season to taste. Fresh cracked pepper is a must! And enjoy! There was such a great medley of flavours going on in this salad; from the bite the raw leeks add, to the strength of the sprout flavour (almost as pungent as an onion flavour), some creaminess from the avocado, sweetness from the sun dried tomatoes , then the earthy potatoes and soft eggs all held together with a creamy but light, citrus dressing. Yum!


I think that tuna would work well with this salad (we had a bit of tuna mayo left from making my husbands sandwiches to take to work and I tried some with the salad), as would shrimp (prawns for the non Canadians!) and warm, crumbled bacon too.

No comments:

Post a Comment