Friday, December 17, 2010

Ode to the tomato, and the sandwich!

More often than not it's the simple things in life that you really appreciate, like a great tomato sandwich...

I don't eat much bread anymore, it doesn't seem to agree with me, or rather the yeast doesn't, though there are plenty of times I am a sucker for punishment and indulge myself. Especially when it is fresh, warm bread! Anyway, I buy an Ezekiel bread (that is naturally leavened with bacterial culture and made from sprouted grains) so that I can indulge from time to time and feel less guilty about it. Hot toast with a nice, tart marmalade is one of the reasons I have it around. Another is the sandwich. I am a huge fan of the sandwich and was renowned as a child for the great amount of time, effort and skill that went into making one. More often than not everyone else would have finished family lunch right when I would be raising my sandwich for a first bite! It had to have even portions of a topping, the right combination, the right amounts, quite the labour of love. 

Today's sandwich was plain tomato. A great, vine ripened and absolutely delicious tomato, sliced thinly (not in wedges!) and layered on top of buttered toast. I put mayonnaise on one slice of toast instead of butter and some salt and pepper. Perfect, fresh, full of flavour, nothing fancy masquerading the tomato goodness! Cheese goes very well with tomato, though I would make a cheese and tomato sandwich on soft, fresh, white bread instead of toast. Oh the simple things in life. 

P.S. The sandwich was gone before I remembered to take a picture, I shall have to have another one soon for photography purposes!

1 comment:

  1. WOWZA I'm hungry! It may not be a good idea for me to continue reading your blog...I'm already hungry enough as it is!!

    ReplyDelete