Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Chicken curry with brown rice and spinach.

We had chicken curry last night which I made from scratch. I always use legs; mostly drumsticks with a few thighs. You rub your spice mix on the meat and let it sit for bit. I use a combination of turmeric, coriander, cumin, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, pepper, salt, cardamom and cinnamon. Fry the meat to seal it. In a large pot cook finely cut onions and ginger, add cloves and canned crushed tomatoes. Slowly stir in plain yoghurt so it doesn't curdle, then add stock and remaining spice mix, more crushed chillies and finally the meat. Cook in the oven until done. I prefer the oven because it is fail safe, sometimes when you cook it stove top you get the sauce catching on the bottom. When it is ready, add flour to thicken the sauce if needed, some cream and garam massala. We had it with brown rice, wilted spinach and naan breads. The naan were store bought, chilli and onion, wonderful! The brown rice is a new substitution to white rice in an effort to be healthier. I cooked it the same as white rice, in a Pampered Chef rice cooker, the best purchase ever! You can cook brown rice till it is almost as soft as white rice and we found it was far more filling. I never actually cook my spinach. I put the spinach leaves in a colander and pour boiling water over them, tossing them over a bit until they wilt slightly. I find your spinach goes further as it doesn't disappear into a slimy, tiny portion as it does when you boil it! The water must be boiling rather than just hot or it won't work. We are both fans of pickles with curry, mango and lime, they are hot but are a great accompaniment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment