Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Balsamic glazed vegetable quinoa and chicken wings.

I was making quinoa to go with wings today and was thinking over what I had hanging around the kitchen and fridge and what would taste yummy. I ended up finely chopping some red onion, cubing zucchini and halving cherry tomatoes then tossing them in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, truffle salt, pepper and Italian seasoning. This all went onto a baking sheet to caramelise as I was roasting the wings. When the vegetable ensemble was ready (starting to blacken) I tossed it with the cooked quinoa, feta and some lime juice and it was ready to eat. This works well warm or cold. 
I know home made wings often lack when compared to mass produced ones anywhere else but it is nice to try. I also feel that going baked rather than deep fried is a good option. (Not that wings are a good option in general if you are trying to watch what you eat). I tossed these in President's Choice Memories of Portugal Piri Piri Barbecue Sauce. It is hot. They take maybe 40mins in a very hot oven, cut one open to check if you aren't sure. Half way through I sprinkled salt on them to aid crisping. They would crisp better if you roasted them plain and added sauce at the end, but I like the flavour that runs through them when they roast in the sauce. They tend to turn out more moist than the deep fried version you buy when you are out. I guess they aren't an alternative if that is what you are hankering after, but worth a try to see what you think. 

No comments:

Post a Comment