Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Mushrooms and onions.


I made this to go with a steak but I think it would work well with pasta or just served over a bed of rice or as a side to pork or chicken as well, very versatile indeed!

Finely slice onions and cremini mushrooms (little brown ones, or any that you want really, I have used an assortment all mixed together in the past with great results) and fry in a little oil and butter. As they soften, add grainy mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper, Sherry and cream. The Sherry needs to be in long enough for some of the alcohol to burn off so it isn't an overpowering flavour and you don't want all your cream to reduce away either. Just keep tasting it to see how it is and once the mushrooms and onions are soft enough it is ready to serve. If I were serving this with pork I would add some apples to soften in it and if it were with chicken maybe a little lemon and some sage and thyme would be good. I am glad to have the Sherry in the house (which I needed to make my eggnog) as it goes so well with mushrooms and cream. It is also great with chicken livers if you like such things.

If you are trying to be healthy then don't use the cream, instead try using yoghurt or low fat sour cream or even milk or stock with some flour to thicken the sauce. 

No comments:

Post a Comment