Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Pasta bake.

I couldn't decide between doing a brown rice casserole or a pasta one. Then I realised that my pasta is made from brown rice and other grains so not much difference really. Pasta it was! It was also a chance to use up some more odds and ends that were in the fridge and to then have a dish of ready to eat food in the fridge for the next day or so. 

I slightly undercooked the pasta, by about 2-3minutes, then drained it. While the pasta was cooking I fried up some leeks, orange pepper, mushrooms, tomatoes and spinach with garlic. I set these aside in a bowl and then fried the chicken in the same pan with some salt and pepper. I was using boneless, skinless thighs that had the fat removed and were cut into chunks. When the pasta was done I made the sauce in the same pot from a can of mushroom soup with some tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce. I only added half of the water that the soup called for to keep it thicker and brought it to the boil. I put the pasta into the bottom of a baking dish with the vegetables on top (I added some sun dried tomatoes and broccoli sprouts at this stage too), then the chicken, poured the sauce over it all and topped it with grated cheese. It baked at about 350 degrees for about 20-25minutes until the cheese started to brown. Your ingredients should be cooked before hand, or in the case of the pasta undercooked so that it doesn't go soggy in the dish, so you just want it to all warm together and absorb the sauce flavours and let the cheese melt. Although it takes a bit of time to prepare it is a great way of using up stuff in the fridge and giving yourself a ready to eat meal in the fridge!

No comments:

Post a Comment