Monday, December 27, 2010

Eggnog.


Back in the UK we would traditionally use eggnog as an accompaniment to a dessert, like you would custard or pouring cream or whipped cream. We would serve it over Christmas pudding which would be similar to a 'plum pudding' here in Canada. When I first came to Canada I was amazed that you drank eggnog! Having read over some local recipes for it I now realise why you can drink it, because it is made with a combination of milk and cream whereas my recipe is purely whipped cream and thus extremely thick and rich. My recipe also includes Sherry, so in my world there was no such thing as an alcohol free eggnog! I had made this once before at a 'Tree Trimming' party in Moosonee a few years ago and it went down a storm so I made some more this year as a Christmas Eve beverage. I made sure to use some milk to thin it out a bit, but still put the Sherry in. Sherry just goes so well with cream, and dessert! I also used brown sugar instead of regular sugar which really added to the luxuriousness of it! We still served it over alcohol in true Canadian fashion, some had Spiced Rum and I stuck to the Sherry, so there was a double dose of 'spirit' and a sprinkle of nutmeg to see the big day in! 

No comments:

Post a Comment