Thursday, March 10, 2011

Shawarma.

I met my friend for lunch today, which is quite a treat really as it is out of the norm for me to eat out, especially for lunch! We went for shawarma at a place right near her work. I love shawarma! The Middle Eastern cuisine that comes wrapped in a soft pita bread and smothered in garlic and hot sauce! Yummmy!

My friend ordered the shawarma platter, which actually came out best in the photographs! Basically all the trimmings that would go into a wrap on a plate with rice and more salad type stuff. 


I know some people are sceptical about the whole gyro thing, tightly packed meat on a large skewer rotating round and round over heat while bits get shaved off the edge. I chose not to think too much about it and focus on how wonderful the meat tastes (the chicken variety is what I eat) after it has been roasting so long! And, the turn over in these places is insane! Ali Baba's by the way.

Anyway, back to the ingredients, lovely, flavour packed chicken, rice, tabbouleh (which is a bulgar based salad with lots of parsley and a couple other things in it), purple cabbage, pickled turnips, tahini, hummus, onions and tomatoes. They also have a fab garlic and hot sauce which I love! 

I had mine in a wrap, minus the rice which is the platter part. The photo doesn't really do it justice to be honest. There is such an explosion of flavours and textures going on here, juicy tomatoes, crunchy, tart pickled turnip, herb packed tabbouleh and then throw in tahini, hummus, garlic and hot and you are one happy chappy in my book! And all for $5.50 too, what a steal. 


No comments:

Post a Comment