Friday, March 11, 2011

Chocolate popcorn balls.

I had popcorn as a snack last night, which was lovely! And it got me thinking about a treat we used to make growing up in Zambia, pop corn balls. It is easy and I guess cheap too. So today I found the recipe my Mum sent me (for Warthog Droppings as they are lovingly called) and got to it!

Pop some corn, 1/2 cup of it, which should give you about 8 cups of popped corn. Set aside. 


In a large pan melt 1/4 cup butter, 1/2 cup sugar and a 1/2 cup syrup (corn syrup) with a pinch of salt. I like a chocolate variety as it takes away from the sheer sweetness so I added a couple tbsps of cocoa powder. Stir it over the heat until the sugar has melted then mix the popcorn back into it. You need to stir it around really well to get all the saucy part incorporated into the pop corn. Then you shape it into balls. I dipped my fingers into water to stop my hands from getting too sticky. You want to shape them before it cools too much or they will be solidifying but be careful not to burn yourself as it is hot if you start right away. Drop them into cupcake/muffin paper cups. 


In hindsight I should have used the large pan all along. I used a medium size pan that I knew was big enough to accommodate the popped corn but it was full to brim meaning it wouldn't be any use for trying to mix in. So start with the largest pan, pop the corn in it, set it aside, then make the sauce in the same pan, means there is less washing up to do! Always thinking! Also, when you add the popcorn make sure you leave behind all the half popped or un-popped parts or you will have some broken teeth!

Easy to make, easy to eat. 


I've never made these for my husband before. It will be interesting to see how long it takes him to find them when he gets home and what the verdict is!

No comments:

Post a Comment