Sunday, March 6, 2011

Hot, smoky and sweet chicken - using up peach and mango salsa.

I found myself wandering what to do with the peach and mango salsa that was left over from the Mexican night, and I thought that it would go nicely with chicken. And it did!



I mixed together the left over salsa (about 1 cup) with a couple tbsps of tomato ketchup, a tsp of mustard powder and probably 1 1/2 tbsp of the bright yellow mustard, a few shakes of Worcestershire sauce, 1 tbsp of fresh garlic, 2 tsp of curry powder, 1- 2 chipotles (also left over from Mexican night), few shakes of chill flakes, couple tbsp of brown sugar, tbsp of syrup (corn syrup - I didn't think it was sweet enough and was too lazy to find the brown sugar again and the syrup was right in front of me!) salt and pepper. I also had a little left over crushed tomato from the penne dish the night before so I threw that in to get rid of it but you don't really need it, if anything it made my dish watery and could be better without it, maybe some tomato paste instead for the flavour. 

I laid the drumsticks out in a baking dish and covered them in the sauce, then left them in the fridge with foil on for a couple of hrs. I cooked them about 1/2hr with the foil on to steam them and keep them moist, then took the foil off to let them bake up for the last little while. Hot even, round 400 degrees, until done. 

We had them with steamed white rice (because I felt like it instead of the usual brown rice) and steamed broccoli and cauliflower. I put a few shakes of soy sauce on the vegetables. Amazing. The sauce really hit the spot, with the heat from the chipotles, chilli and mustard, sweet from the fruity salsa and sugar, the acid from the tomato, oh my, it really worked well! We loved it. Great using up of left over ingredients if I don't say so myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment