Saturday, March 12, 2011

Mushroom, onion, asparagus and cheese omelette.

I did it! I made a good omelette. And I used the mushrooms and onions and asparagus that I had left over from dinner the other night too! 

I decided to make a breakfast treat for my husband this morning, and treat it was considering I don't like omelettes! However, I am determined to make a good one and have a few bad attempts so it all hinged on this attempt. Not having a good frying pan does not help! But, refusing to be held back by tools I soldiered on and used more than a dash of oil to grease the pan and stop things from sticking. I also didn't put much milk into the eggs at all either, and I used 3 eggs, to make it really thick and hopefully it would hold together nicely. 

Before the omelette construction began I put some sausages on to cook. They are from those friends who brought some treats over from Earlidale Meats a few weeks ago, all hand made with no gluten, very high quality. These ones were maple/cranberry breakfast sausages. I just got them going in a frying pan and turned them every so often for even cooking. They were amazing!

When the sausages were almost ready I started on the omelette, adding the egg mixture to the oiled frying pan. I had seasoned the mix with salt and pepper. I let it cook on a medium heat until it was almost done then I turned it down low. I found that I needed to 'spread' the uncooked mix around on the surface for more even cooking. When it was just away from being completely cooked I sprinkled grated cheddar and parmesan over it and dotted some asparagus and mushrooms and onions around it. These were already cooked, leftover from my dinner the other day (see previous entry).


I then had to fold it in half. Which is easier said than done really. I checked that it wasn't stuck anywhere by sliding my spatula under it and thankfully, due to the oil, it wasn't stuck! I lifted up half and folded it over and then 'encouraged' the edges to seal together by pressing on them. 

At this point I put the bread in the toaster, kamut/amaranth/spelt/quinoa bread, which was really yummy. I buttered it and halved it on the diagonal to look pretty. The real trick came when I had to transfer the beast of an omelette onto the plate! It was rather large, and heavy, and bowed the spatula and hung over the edges. I actually ended up using 2 spatulas side by side to lift it up and onto the plate! I am sure this omelette would have fed more than 1 person, but seeing as I am not a fan and my husband is stubborn, he managed to eat it, though it took a long time for him to be interested in the next meal of the day!




I mixed tomato ketchup with the juice from some chipotles (still left over from Mexican night, though I finally finished them off in my rib marinade this evening, phew!) to give a smoky sauce with a bit of a kick, it worked really well. 

And because I am not an omelette admiring person (thought I did taste this one to see how good it really was and approved) I had a sausage sandwich on toast with the smoky ketchup instead.


No comments:

Post a Comment