Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Tuna stuffed sweet potato.



We are going away for a week and I have been trying to use up everything in the fridge, this makes for 'interesting' meals and could use a little imagination. I used up the last banana on the crepes for breakfast today. We then had 2 sweet potatoes left and part of a red onion and an apple. I decided I could stuff the sweet potatoes with tuna mayonnaise but then realised we had no mayonnaise! The fridge really is bare! So, now to come up with something else to use instead of mayonnaise. I used a tiny bit of Ceasar dressing, not too much or it is very garlicy, a little Thousand Island dressing and a little cucumber relish. The tuna now had a good consistency. I also added a couple of finely chopped jalapeno stuffed olives, a little finely chopped red onion, some grainy mustard and some grated cheddar. I know it sounds like quite the mish-mash but it worked, with the saltiness of the olives, the sweet from the relish and Thousand Island, and the tangy from the mustard.

I cooked the potatoes in the microwave first, then put them in a hot oven for a while. Then I took them out and put them on a foil lined tray, cut them down the middle and put a little butter, salt and pepper into them. I mixed this around with the beautiful orange flesh then scooped the tuna mix into them. I topped it with a little grated parmesan and let them bake until the cheese went golden brown. 

I would imagine that doing this with mushrooms and cheese would make a good alternative too. Or some sour cream and cheese. Lots of room for experimentation here folks. Half way through eating them, my husband said 'sweet potatoes are good for you aren't they?', after already saying 'this is good'. And yes they are, good for you! And yes they were, good!


No comments:

Post a Comment