Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Chocolate quinoa crepes.


We had these for breakfast today, from my Quinoa 365 book! Great way to start the day! They were very easy to make, and very quick, and they turned out great = one happy cook! (and husband)

They used eggs and a little butter, but I substituted milk for soy milk and I don't think it made any difference. I wonder if you could substitute 'whipped oils' (fake butter) to make it dairy free as well as gluten free?! Anyway, ponderings aside, great crepe. There was 2tbsp of cocoa powder in them and not a lot of sugar so you could really taste the chocolateyness, which I love! It also masked the nutty/earthy flavour that quinoa flour can have which for some non fans of it, is a great thing! 

The book serves them with a brown sugar, vanilla and yoghurt 'sauce' smeared all over them and bananas and then they are carefully folded over to look divine! I didn't have any yoghurt so I used our frozen vanilla yoghurt instead, in a lump, not as pleasing to the eye I know but what can you do!? We did add a tiny bit of maple syrup to them, which I think did what the brown sugar in the yoghurt 'sauce' would have done and made it just right! It may seem more like dessert, but when it is made with these ingredients and you don't cover it in whipped cream and chocolate, it really is a nutritious breakfast. 


No comments:

Post a Comment