Monday, February 21, 2011

Filet mignon, roasted garlic mash, broccoli and peppercorn sauce.


I offered my husband a choice of steak or chicken for dinner last night, he didn't even look at me, he just said, do you need to ask?! Ha! Silly me. So, the last of our wonderfully priced filet mignons from Costco were consumed in the most glorious way. 

On the grocery shop I had remembered to buy some garlic, knowing that at some point I would be making mash and would want it. Amen! Because it didn't take long to get to the mash meal, and as soon as I knew were having steak I knew it was going with roasted garlic mash. I used some mini red potatoes for the mash, they worked great, I loved the bits of red skin colour and the brown from the roasted garlic, very rustic! The broccoli was simply steamed and the onions were cooked for a long time to get the lovely caramelised colour and flavour. I used a packet of mushroom gravy and a packet of peppercorn sauce mixed together. I had also quartered some button mushrooms and sauteed them in butter and added them to the sauce, yum! I love the heat from the peppercorns, they really compliment the tender meat. The filets were perfection, 9minutes on the bbq and were on the rare side of medium rare. Mmmm!

I also LOVE the smell of roasting garlic! I did this earlier in the day when I was getting everything else prepped. We were out in the afternoon so it was nice to come home and just turn the pot on and the frying pan and be half way ready instantly! I halved the entire head of garlic, 2 actually, drizzled olive oil over them and put them in a hot oven, I then realised it didn't need to be so hot and turned it down to medium/low. The garlic is ready when it turns a golden grown colour, if it is black you know you did it too long, but oh well! I scooped them cloves out of the skins and left them to use later on. I made more than I needed too, you never know when roasted garlic will come in handy! I mashed it with a fork to make it easier to mix into the potatoes. I cannot believe how amazing it tastes. Roasted garlic rocks!

No comments:

Post a Comment