Thursday, June 30, 2011

Jus Burger visit for top quality 'fast food'.

We are back in Canada! After a very long and tiresome journey. And very pleasantly we arrived back into Canadian Summer too, with temperatures in the high 20s feeling like high 30s to 40 with the humidity (the humidity part I could gladly skip). Almost like how it was when we first arrived in Australia over 3months ago. One of my greatest pleasures of being back so far has been buying bananas for 79 cents a pound. That may not make much sense to some of you but bananas were extremely expensive in Australia, like $7/lb (which looks even worse when it says $12.99/kg!). Needless to say we didn't eat them much, twice in fact, as very guilty indulgences! They were a steal at $2 per banana, you could count the cents per bite! Anyway, this is all due to the terrible flooding that happened over there which has affected the banana plantations so that puts it in perspective for you. However, when we came across them at the price they were over here, we took 2 bunches (thank you very much!), one ready to eat and one greener so that we can keep on eating them once the first run out! Banana a day keeps the Dr. away today!

This has nothing to do with Jus Burger, so I guess I should return from my digression and get on with it. On our last night in Perth we went to Jus Burger for dinner because we (mostly hubby who has a burger love thing) had wanted to try it out and never got around to it. We sat outside on some brightly coloured and abstract furniture with lovely heaters that made it warm enough for me to take my sweater off!


The menu was very colourful and well presented. The place is doing all the right things - catering to all diets and lifestyles with the highest quality products from as local as possible. I was very impressed. You go up and order yourself and we were given a very funky welded table number, that would break a foot if you dropped it!

Hubby went with the Wagyu beef burger with wasabi mayo after a little persuasion from me. I thought this would be the most amazing burger, and it was. I was trying to be kind to my digestive system before our 30 odd hours of travel commenced so went with a chicken breast burger that had been marinated in garlic, herbs and oil. The burgers average $14 I would guess, maybe $12 or $13 for a vegetarian one, and for an extra $5 you can get a meal combination with some chips, coleslaw and green tomato relish. We both took this option. Hubby had a coke in a bottle and I had a lemonade made from local lemons and perhaps there isn't much local sugar to be had as it was very, very tart! I did like it though, I could almost feel it burning away the fat from the chips as we ate (wishful thinking!). No seriously, it was very refreshing. 


Every aspect of the meal was outstanding. The bread, the vegetables in the burger, the chips, the coleslaw and the relish was particularly good! Everything was consistently impressive. The Wagyu beef patty blew everything out of the water though, oh my goodness, it was so juicy and full of flavour, insanely good! It did make my chicken burger pale in comparison, especially as I found it considerably under seasoned. I let this slide because I feel like they are going for the healthiest options all round and less salt (or no salt in this case) is healthy. You can always add it right?! 


The presentation of the meal was very different and the effort is noticed. The little side pots are the perfect size for just a taste and even though I ate about 1/4 of my bread and not even the whole inside, I was full. Maybe that was the affect of the tart lemonade? Or the fact that I knew I could have been having the divine Wagyu delight had I followed my own gut. Or perhaps the 2 bites I had of it were filling! The only thing I would say on a remotely negative scale is that it is really hard to eat off the pretty but narrow board. I had to turn it oddly to cut my burger in half (though perhaps not everyone does that) and move things around to gain access to other stuff, though this is so minor in comparison to how good it all was. 

Anyone can eat here. There is gluten free bread, every kind of meat option, fish burgers, vegetarian patties or even just vegetables in a bun like pumpkin. There are 3 different kinds of coleslaw and salad so you make it as healthy a visit as you like! And even some milkshakes if you have a sweet tooth. If you were craving food that essentially comes with a 'bad for you' name tag, this is the place to go because they make it as 'good for you' as they possibly can. What a great way to end the trip of a life time; simple, good food and a perfect WA evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment