Thursday, June 23, 2011

Cheat pizzas using old bread and odds and ends of cheese.


The back end of a Ciabatta loaf has been sitting next to the toaster for days now. Feeling very sorry for it and hating waste, I decided to make a tasty snack out of it. I found some odds and ends of cheese in the fridge, aged cheddar and part of a mozzarella ball and some pizza sauce in a bottle. This stuff isn't all that bad, in fact, I think you would find that a lot of people use 'cheat' pizza sauce rather than toiling over the stove top! It will never be home made, but it will certainly do. If you don't have the luxury of ready made sauces then some tomato ketchup would probably do too.

I sliced the old bread and toasted it under the grill, I turned it and let it toast ever so slightly on the second side too. Then I spread a little pizza sauce on it and a mixture of the cheeses and returned it to the grill until the cheese was molten and going brown. You can probably see a stripy pattern in the photo, that's me alternating mozzarella with cheddar for an even taste spread. 

You could use any old bread (instead of throwing it out) as toasting gives a little bit of life to stale bread, or even crumpets would work. And any cheese. And you could add any other toppings to it too if you were so inclined. I think that this could be something fun to do with and for kids too! (Both adults who ate this thoroughly enjoyed it).

No comments:

Post a Comment