Friday, June 17, 2011

Chilli update and silverbeets.

Our trip down south was a little wet, cold and rather windy but it was nothing we weren't expecting and certainly didn't stop us doing anything that we had wanted to! Being by a blazing wood fire very evening was pure heaven. 

We had the chilli from my last entry while we were away and I think it was a huge success. It re-heated perfectly, I would definitely recommend it as a take away meal if you are going on a self catering trip or camping. All we needed to go with it was rice, though having the luxury of shops close by we also picked up a few other bits and pieces. In the local farmers/seafood market I had found some rainbow silverbeet which I dediced we would have with it as a green. I have never had silverbeet before, the multicoloured stems definitely won me over. It looked very like swiss chard. Call me stupid but I was not expecting it to taste like beets, which I don't particularly like, but this was not an overpowering flavour and I really liked it and thought it went really well with the chilli. I soaked it in a sink full of water (especially as it was bought at a farmers market and not in a bag already washed!) and got 5 snails, a green stink bug and a handful of sand off it! Then I removed the tough part of the stems and just finely sliced the rest of it. I threw it into a pan of olive oil and butter mixed, already hot, and fried it, tossing occasionally with tongs and put some salt and pepper in. I think garlic would be a good addition but we were already having garlic bread and the chilli had lots of garlic in so I gave it a miss this time. I cooked it till it was fairly soft to eat which took longer than I thought it would as the stem part is quite thick. We also had some finely sliced green/spring onions and sour cream to go with it, bits of cheese for those who wanted and some garlic bread! Very tasty by the fire!

I did forget to take a photo of it, or rather I couldn't tear myself away from it to take one once we were eating! Please imagine for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment