Saturday, June 25, 2011

Breakfast at Lemon Station.

Having visited Lemon Station regularly over the last 3months for great coffees and tasty (and very naughty for you) muffins and to see Manager Kate, we decided that on our last day we should go down and have proper breakfast. In hindsight I should have looked at the menu better and picked bits and pieces off it to make what I ended up eating but it turned out that we got to try a vast quantity of food which was a good experience in itself.

The Station is very homey, with huge windows that open up in the Summer making you feel like you are outside, walls covered in posters, fresh flowers and magazines to keep you entertained. Hubby and I both lunged for the food magazine and then settled with me browsing through it and him with the travel one and both of us interrupting each other constantly to 'ooh' and 'aah' over delectable dishes and destinations!


He announced that he was hungry. And wanted a proper breakfast. With eggs and about half of the things that were in the Sides. I wasn't hugely fussed about what I had but I thought I had better have eggs as well and half of the sides that he wanted so it didn't look bad!

I had 2 eggs scrambled on rye toast with a side of balsamic mushrooms and wilted spinach, hubby had poached eggs on a potato hash cake with bacon and roasted tomatoes and a side of multigrain toast.




Hubby didn't even know that his dish came with roasted tomatoes, it was just the best combination covering all the things he wanted with the least amount of sides needing to be ordered. I was very excited to see them and took one straight away with the home made pesto on my rye toast and was in heaven. I ate this with the spinach and some mushrooms which were really good. The mushrooms were sweet from the balsamic being reduced and the spinach was only just wilted rather than being over done and slimy. Tasty! The scramble eggs were yummy too, though I was a little scared knowing that they are made with cream instead of milk so you know it isn't good for you, but it did taste good! The bacon, which was actually pancetta now that I think about it, was crisp which is hard to find here as most bacon tends to be under done in my opinion, so that was very pleasing! I think the pesto deserves another mention, it was delightful! I would go there again for something with pesto, maybe just tomatoes on toast with pesto all over again!

It was a lot of food, hubby managed to work his way through quite a fair whack of it and then said the backs of his knees were sweating! I wondered if this were a side effect of over consumption or just sitting in the same position too long having been distracted by food! The place was heaving, creaking at the seams with people and orders but the staff were still chatty and friendly and the food was still up to scratch, they seem to take it all in their stride and with a smile on their faces. You are always told if there is a wait for food, and how long and most people seem happy to sit and chat and just be there for the experience as much as for the food and coffee. It really does have a homey feel to it, very inviting.



Half way through breakfast I remembered the muffins and asked for a raspberry and white chocolate one, which was a good idea because by the time we left they had run out of those, though there were another 3 kinds (including a savoury one) to chose from. We brought it home and about 3hrs later I was able to face it having let breakfast subside enough. So lovely and moist in the middle and packed with filling and crunchy on the top!

What a great way to spend our last morning in Australia. Bags and suitcases are all packed now, roll on the endless journey that begins tonight.


No comments:

Post a Comment