Monday, May 23, 2011

Lunch at the Rose & Crown in Guildford.

It was Kate's birthday today and we were going to this old English hotel/restuarant/bar for lunch, I think it dates back to 1841, which is old for here. It was a lovely little place with a great outside seating/dining area and a really cool and unique cellar that had original furnishings in it. 

Hubby ordered off the Specials, Beef and Guinness Pie and I ordered off the regular one going with prawns.


The pie was lovely, both the pastry and the filling and there was even a real jus (as chef Stu pointed out), though perhaps there could have been some more meat in the pie the men said! The mashed peas were brilliant, I loved it and have never had them before! How simple. Chef Stu said that if you blitz up some thawed frozen peas with a little mint, mayo and lemon it makes a great accompaniment for fish, so now I really want to try that too!


My dish was just what I was looking for, some prawns, with enough nice sauce to go over the rice. You find sprouts as decoration all the time over here and I love munching on them!

We rounded things off with a Devonshire Tea, which is tea with scones with jam and cream, what more could you ask for!?

Tomorrow holds the start of another road trip, up the West coast this time, 10 days in search of some sun and sea creatures! I don't have any expectations of fine dining up there though I am keen to sample some freshly caught fish! I am also, in a weird way, looking forward to being back from that trip and here for a while so that I can cook again! Looking forward to making pork belly at last, and maybe that mushy pea dip for fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment