Sunday, May 22, 2011

Amazing food at Bojangles in Warrnambool.

We found this little place in Warrnambool and couldn't wait to try it out! It is only open after 5pm as we found out when we tried to go in for a drink to check the place out a bit earlier. The kitchen was already busy with preparation and the guy back there said to come after 5 and that we wouldn't be disappointed, that was a promise he kept!

The menu is funky, fresh, uses local ingredients and they offer a special. It was this special that had me convinced of what I was going to order before we were even seated! The pork belly! Yum!


Now can you imagine my horror when they told us they were out of the special, boo! When I went to the kitchen and chatted with the chef on our way out and he explained the process I understood how they could run out of it. It can be a couple day procedure and very time consuming, I only wish we were around longer so we could have gone back when there was some ready. 

Sorrow over the special aside, we dove into the menu and decided on some arancini balls to start - deep fried risotto balls filled with taleggio cheese and mushroom served with parmesan aioli and rocket. How wonderful! They were so delightfully arranged as well with rocket and red pepper and dressing drizzled around the plate. I did take a pic but it wasn't in focus but at least you get the idea.



My husband ordered the lamb rump with seasonal veg, it came with a roasted tomato and a burnt honey and rosemary red wine jus. The lamb was perfectly medium rare and the jus was amazing. However, I was so besotted with my dish and he with his that we didn't entirely share meals like we normally do. I think we did a meat swop twice but the rest of the time we were very defensive of our food. 



I ordered the aged yearling eye fillet with seafood, garlic and cream and the seasonal veg. It was one of the best pieces of meat I have ever had. They tell you to expect a 30-40min wait if you order the steak and this is because they want to let it rest so long after cooking it in order to serve it right. The seafood was local mussles, clams, scallops, prawns, octopus and squid in onion and garlic cream sauce. I loved the local veg - mushrooms, green beans and roasted spring/green onion (which was a first for me). The sauce was rich but I was in heaven with having the best of both worlds! I had to restrain myself from running my finger on the plate to get some more of the sauce up, and I mashed my potatoes into it too to soak it up!



Dessert left a bit to be desired but I don't want to tarnish the experience because of that. The rest of the food was some of the best we have ever had. It was an all round fantastic experience, and I was really pleased that the chef took the time to walk me through the pork belly cooking process when I stopped by the kitchen on the way out. It is an open concept kitchen that you walk through to get to the seating area and that people wait in (and can order drinks in) when they wait for take out pizzas, so it was easy to find someone to question. I am now extremely anxious to make some myself and can't wait to try it when we are back from our next road trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment