Sunday, April 3, 2011

Seafood at Sandrino's in Freo.

When the birthday girl has a hankering for seafood, the troop finds seafood. Yay me! I was not disappointed, especially when I found a dish called Barbequed Seafood that came with prawns (yes they call them that here, not 'shrimp'! Another reason to love Oz!), calamari, mussels and barramundi which I was really keen to try.


This is my idea of seafood heaven, I only wish I could have shared it with my Dad who shares a birthday with me and is also a seafood lover. I learnt later on via skype that he was having home made fish and chips made from nkupi fish that he had caught at a fishing competition and not only that but they had placed 2nd in one of the categories so they were really happy campers too! 

The barramundi was really good. Not like a white flakey fish at all, very much more dense with almost a grey/white flesh that really holds together nicely. It almost tastes earthy if that makes sense, like river. I would compare it to a Bream fish from Zambia at a push. We were dining with our friend's friend's too and he was a chef too and told us that the barramundi flavour can really vary depending on the season, from tasting muddy when it is in the rivers to really 'oceany' when it moves out to the estuary or ocean. Am loving the local knowledge!

Our friends ordered a pizza with roasted pumpkin, goat cheese, pesto and rocket on which looked divine!



Hubby's meat lover's pizza also looked divine, actually, it tasted divine, maybe a touch salty with the proscuitto but divine none the less.



All in all a very nice day! Loving Oz!

No comments:

Post a Comment