Sunday, April 3, 2011

Birthday drinks in Freo.

Woohoo we are in Australia! And fingers crossed, jet lag free. The 12hr time change seems to have been dealt with by the insanely long journey. First couple days have been amazing here in Perth. My friend's husband is a chef, I cannot tell you how delighted I am to be living with them and discussing food and watching him work in the kitchen. He made red thai curry our first full day here and it was so good and I was so relaxed that I forgot to take pictures and document, boo! Am now on the ball again.

Yesterday we went to Fremantle for the day and mooched around, had drinks, moved on, had drinks, found food etc etc. The first place was a kind of warehouse on the harbour called Little Creatures, very interesting place. We sat outside on the deck for drinks and I discovered Pipsqueak cider.



This is definitely not a North American version of cider, nor really a hugely English one, the closest I could compare it to is Savannah dry which comes from South Africa. So light and crisp and fresh. And so welcomed on a roasting, sunny, blue skies afternoon with the sea breeze washing over you. Not being a huge alcohol drinker, I loved my cider and then moved on to my new favourite drink, Lemon, Lime and Bitters.


Another amazingly fresh, tart and crisp drink, I was in heaven. And not that it matters hugely, but what a beautiful colour no!? Here comes the warning - drinking this bottle version is amazing, however, if you order one in a restuarant where they will make it from scratch it will not be anywhere near the same as this! It was very sweet from the lemonade and almost orange from the Angustura bitters. I learnt rapidly that you need to order it SODA, lime and bitters if it is being made and you will have more luck with a tart, crisp drink. On the drink side, I was one happy birthday camper! With a hankering for seafood. Enter new post.

No comments:

Post a Comment