Friday, April 22, 2011

Kangaroo on the barbie!

Ok so it was about time we tried some traditional or local Australian food right!?! Kangaroo it was. We found it in the local grocery store, that is how common it is, and it generally comes in either a steak type form or in burger patties. We opted for a piece of fillet. Chef Stu said that you have to eat it rare or it will be tough, so rare it was. 



The meat itself is very dark and lean, we did some lamb chops at the same time as they have some fat on them for a bit of contrast.



There was a very mixed verdict. Hubby loved it and I was not sure at all. It was extremely gamey and whilst I have eaten a lot of game back home in Zambia, it was never in a very rare serving. We tended to make stews out of it so this combination of rare and gamey didn't work wonders for me. I don't know if there was an element of psychological 'issues' there either? There was a tiny fillet piece that we had cooked medium-well which I ate, it didn't taste as 'gamey'. However, my tummy did tell me throughout the evening that it wasn't entirely happy with it.  Hubby ate the other fillet the next day in a glorious sandwich at the beach; crusty Turkish baguette with rare 'Roo, mustard, mayo and mixed leaves. He was a happy chappy!

Now to find some Emu and Crocodile and maybe some more tasty local seafood!

No comments:

Post a Comment