Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Italian in Montreal.

So it's dinner time on our first night in Montreal and I have a specific food in mind. If I were at home I would have made myself pasta with a rose sauce, with mushrooms and spinach in it. We set off in search of a hopeful whereabouts and end up in 'Guido and Angelinas', which is close to the hotel and serves Italian. Unfortunately as I scour the menu I cannot find exactly what I am looking for, a problem that is somewhat common when you actually spend time envisaging food and listening to your cravings! Anyway, driven by a fear of irritating my husband as I have spent 10minutes going over and over the menu, I decide on a salad and a pasta that will hopefully hit all the right spots and it doesn't disappoint! (There is also the fear of irritating him when I do order food and am sorely, and very vocally, disappointed! P.S. Fear is the wrong word, but I'll stick with it anyway!).

The spinach salad was so lightly and freshly dressed that it let the ingredients do all the talking whilst keeping it all together perfectly. The goat cheese was like none I have tasted before, in big 'crumbles' and very creamy. The sun dried tomatoes weren't over powering and the toasted almonds gave a lovely crunch.  Mushroom and spinach craving satisfied!

I then had a very simple pasta with a rose and vodka sauce with cracked black pepper. It was just what I was hoping it would be. The sauce tasted like my Mum's home made cream of tomato soup, which is a good sign, as it just has tomatoes and cream in it! Very light, very flavourful.

I noticed a cabernet sauvignon sorbet on the dessert menu, which sounded amazing with the 'fruity undertones' but that will have to be for another day...

No comments:

Post a Comment