Sunday, November 21, 2010

Culinary musings of a housewife - First blog entry.

I have finally decided to write about the food I am shopping for, making, eating, or thinking about making. It could be classed as a small obsession, but I am always planning meals, looking forward to eating/serving them, guessing what is in a dish and analysing food. Writing about it seems a natural progression.

This afternoon there was a flurry of activity in my kitchen as I baked some muffins, made egg mayonnaise and soup, as well as got things ready for dinner. The egg mayonnaise has finely chopped celery, chives and fresh cracked pepper in it. I have pumpernickle bread with rye meal and caraway seeds to make sandwiches with. I started getting the house looking 'Christmassy' and decided that the minature pumpkins decorating my windowsill were out of place now, so they were roasted and a soup was created! It has apples, chicken stock, the roasted pumpkin flesh, garlic and rosemary in it. Having these things in the fridge is handy for lunches.

The muffins are chocolate banana chocolate chip. I normally don't have the first 'chocolate' in there but was inspired by a friends version recently. I cheat and buy muffin mixes for ease, and I mix half oatmeal and half bran packets together, then add whatever I want to them. Some yummy versions are chocolate zucchini,  sweet potato/squash and apple/raisin. I just grate the raw fruit or vegetables into the mix and you can add spices to vary it like cinnamon.

Am off to get dinner ready now, crispy baked potatoes filled with tuna mayonnaise and a salad with tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, avocado and feta. I make a dressing of lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, dijon mustard and salt and pepper which has a light, fresh taste!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Sophie, I am now a follower and continue to be a lover of food and of your cooking. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete