Sunday, October 30, 2011

Roasted Savoy cabbage (and what to do with the rest)!

I really felt like eating cabbage today and was met with 2 reasons why I shouldn't buy one. The first is that my husband doesn't really like cabbage unless it is in coleslaw and the second is that I always seem to throw out half a cabbage about a week or so after I first used it because I didn't get around to doing anything else with it. These reasons aside I bought the most glorious Savoy cabbage ever! It was beautifully curly with rich, dark green leaves on the outside which I knew were hiding crunchy yellower leaves inside!

My idea was to do something new with the cabbage for dinner to see if I could get hubby on board with liking it and then turn the rest of it into coleslaw which I know he likes and means that I don't risk having to throw away any unused cabbage down the line!

We were having prime rib for dinner and I decided that baked sweet potatoes and roasted cabbage would do perfectly with it, and they did! Roasting cabbage has never been easier! I cut it in half through the stem, then cut one half into 4 pieces which I thought looked like good serving sizes. I lined a tray with foil and drizzled olive oil over it then laid the cabbage pieces down. They then got a drizzling of olive oil and some salt and pepper on them too. I am sure they would be glorious even if you just stopped right there.


Because I had been sealing my prime rib roast in some hot olive oil prior to putting it in the oven, I decided to use some of that oil over the cabbage instead, to add some extra flavour. The cabbage leaves sizzled as I drizzled the hot oil over them!

They then went into the oven at 335degrees for just over an hour. This is not exact science and I am sure you can cook them at a really high heat for a short period of time or moderate heat, whatever you like, I just had the oven really low because I was cooking prime rib medium rare.


Roasted cabbage is amazing! Even hubby loved it! The outside leaves go so crisp they are almost like chips (very like kale chips if you've ever had them) and the rest of it was so sweet and melt in your mouth. I love this. I will do this again in a heart beat! I ate one and a half pieces, which technically is close to a quarter of a cabbage, and you would be hard pushed to eat that much any other way!

I turned the remaining half cabbage into coleslaw really quickly. I grated 2 carrots into a tupperware, added half a Savoy cabbage finely sliced, the juice of 1 lemon, roughly 1tbsp rice vinegar, 1/4 cup ceasar dressing, 2 tbsp mayonnaise, 1 tbsp honey dijon mustard and some salt and pepper to taste. The ceasar dressing gives a lovely garlicy punch and the honey dijon a gentle sweetness cut with the tartness of the lemon. You could add more or less mayonnaise parts to lemon/vinegar parts depending on if you like creamy coleslaw or not. It was a win win situation all round tonight for me because hubby decided that it was the best coleslaw he'd ever had too!


No comments:

Post a Comment