Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Left over pumpkin/pumpkin pie filler?

One of the biggest tasks facing the owner of left overs is how to make them into something new and interesting. I think some people lack the motivation to re-create or just do not like left overs full stop. I am one those weird people that doesn't like to eat the same thing 2 times in a row so if I did have left overs they would have to wait for a day. Or have been doctored to be different enough.

I have some pumpkin pie filler in the fridge, left over from the cheesecake that I made on the weekend and I was waiting for an idea to present itself. This morning, I put it in my oat bran porridge and it was one of the most delicious versions of porridge that I have had. You would have to be using plain oats obviously as other oats are already sweet enough (or too sweet in my opinion). I heated up a few heaping dessert spoons of it in the microwave then added my hot porridge and mixed it all in. The spice was just right and the pumpkin added such a great flavour and colour, it was an amazing way to start the day!

If you have regular pumpkin your options are broader than the sweetened version. I would go for using it to cut mashed potatoes either as a side or on the top of a cottage/shepherd's pie, or in a risotto, or even in the recipe I wrote about a while ago that was for a butternut squash and coconut lime rice. Awesome addition to baby food. Or in a good old soup, similar to the one I wrote about in my first blog entry almost a year ago now!

No comments:

Post a Comment