Friday, September 16, 2011

What happens when you don't cook or blog for a long time...

O.K., I know, I have long been absent and it has pained me. I am very aware of the fact that I haven't written for a long time and that also means that I haven't cooked much in order to have something to write about. I shall do better now that I am in a routine, though this routine sees me at work over lunch and dinner, so not too much cooking will happen. Hopefully I find some interesting things to write about none the less and the weekends hold lots of promise for home cooked food. I have friends telling me on Facebook that I am slacking on my Blog, friends emailing me to check on the reason for the absence and a husband who misses his wife's cooking! 

Today I got home at 8:30pm and I knew hubby was making dinner. He had been catching up on the Blog and a couple of weeks ago asked for the Garlic Sausage Penne meal. I had some of the ingredients in the house but never got around to making it on the weekend. He finally decided to make it himself. I arrived home to a somewhat sheepish man on the couch and when I walked over the stove top he leapt to attention and raced into the kitchen (to defend himself). I took the lid of the pot off and came face to face with sausage soup! With half curdled yoghurt in it. All I did was look at it and he said that it was my fault that the dish hadn't turned out! I asked why it looked the way it did and he said because he had added yoghurt to it and he thought he may have added it too fast. I asked if he wanted it to be the way it was and he said no. I asked if the yoghurt was because he had made it too spicy and he said no. But that he had made it too spicy and had used a can of condensed tomato soup to try and dilute it. The yoghurt was to thicken it. I didn't understand this part and he assured me that my Blog told him to do it. I re-read it and decided that no it did not, that I used cream cheese instead of cream because it would make it thicker than cream and that yoghurt could be a substitute for cream if you were watching calories in a rose sauce. 

I then remembered that he had said it was too spicy so I asked him how many chilli flakes he had used. He said he had used 3 of the chillies in the fridge. I almost choked! The chillies in the fridge are the tiny, extra hot, killer kind of chillies. Ones that I use whole when I cook so that some hotness seeps out of them and then I remove them from the food for fear that someone will burst an eardrum with heat pressure if they accidentally ate one. And we had 3 chopped ones floating around in our 'soup'. A few minutes later he went to the bathroom to wash his face and started yelling because he had rubbed a chilli finger in his eye! At this point I lost control and burst out laughing with tears running down my face, and he joined me, and then we went back to the kitchen to eat 'the crap' he had made, so he called it. 

It wasn't that bad. You could taste the soup in it and we used a slotted spoon to catch the veg and sausage bits out of the liquid and we are both full and happy. Though I guess I should get my apron back on and get into the kitchen more often to save my husbands ego and chilli burned eyes. 

P.S. I have his permission to write this, he is just happy I am writing something after so long!

No comments:

Post a Comment