Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Ginger marmalade (in peach pie and rib marinade).

I saw a picture on a Facebook friends' profile the other day of a peach pie, and it looked delicious. I asked for the recipe, but it is a secret of her Mothers', so I got some general guidance and one of the key ingredients was ginger marmalade. Genius! I went ahead and made a peach pie using it and it was/is delicious! 


I was being lazy so I picked up a Dr.Oetker pie crust mix but I know a home made pie crust would have been better. So, do as you will/can there. I was making this pie and a smoke cured salmon pate at the same time, as well as making lunch and eating it, all with a couple hours to go before having to be in work, so it was a little messy in the kitchen but I was happy. 

I made the crust according to packet directions and baked it blind a little first. I find this helps the crust to cook and not be soggy. I peeled and cut up 6 ripe Ontario peaches (yum!) and made a crumble/crisp topping. I wanted to avoid wheat as much as possible and make this as healthy as possible so I made the top out of oat bran and ground almonds, brown sugar and butter (not that the sugar and butter is good but there is no avoiding that part!). It doesn't have the same consistency as when you use flour but I knew it was better for me and it was filling and tasty. I also chopped up some pecans to go with it. 

I spread the ginger marmalade onto the hot pie shell and it helped it soften and spread evenly. Then I filled the shell with peach pieces, sprinkled some all spice on it and topped with crumble and pecans. In hindsight I would have added more ginger marmalade on top of the peaches, or melted some and mixed it with the peaches before hand, one of the 2, in order to incorporate more of the flavour and gooey-ness. The cooking instructions said to cook high for a few minutes if the filling was uncooked and then reduce temp and cook for about 30minutes. I found that the high heat actually made the pecan pieces and areas of the crumble burn so I would avoid this instruction level or cover the pie (which I did afterwards having spotted said burnt bits and removed them) to protect the topping and to help it cook better. I laid a piece of foil over it but didn't tuck the edges under.

We've eaten the pie cold and it is really good. I like warm pie and I am sure it will be wonderful warm! I think it could do with more ginger marmalade in it, but it has a lot of Autumn flavours in it and feels really wholesome and natural. Big fan of this! Especially when peaches are in season. 

I was then wondering what else ginger marmalade would be useful for and came up with the idea of using it in a rib marinade.


They are cooking as I write and they smell amazing! I had them in marinade for a couple of days before hand, actually, that was what else I was doing while making pate, pie and eating lunch, making marinade! It has Thai sweet chilli sauce (which is sweet, hot and garlic-y), ginger marmalade, soy sauce, tomato ketchup, rice vinegar and hot sauce. Lots of fragrant, bold flavours! We are going to have them with a big salad and some baked sweet potato! 

No comments:

Post a Comment