Thursday, September 22, 2011

Savouring the last of the good BBQ weather.



We had some friends over on the weekend and were hoping for a BBQ by the pool. We had to settle for a BBQ in the park with some of us wearing sweaters and then dessert inside. None the less, it was nice to be outside eating, food always tastes better to me when you are outside in the elements, catching the last of the days rays. We had to carry our picnic down to the communal park in our condominium so a little organisation was needed to get everything in one go and not have to come back up for anything that got forgotten. And a little pre-thought meant the food was all easy to cook too.

I had some steaks marinading in olive oil, salt and freshly cracked black pepper in a ziploc bag. I also had some portabello mushrooms in a bag in the same marinade. Another bag had some half cooked corn (I boiled it for a couple minutes and dropped it into cold water to stop the cooking process just as it started to give when I poked it with a knife) in it. I had a tupperware with a simple salad of grape tomatoes, peeled and diced cucumber, avocado, sheeps' feta, lemon juice and olive oil. A few drinks, plates, cutlery and salt, pepper and butter and we were set. Everything went on the BBQ for about the same amount of time, easy as.

I couldn't believe how easy it was to take food somewhere else to cook and eat. I would do it again with the same menu in a heart beat. And I cannot emphasis how much I LOVE corn on the bbq. The sugar in it caramelises so well, it is like a different vegetable all together. And always so good when it came fresh from my in-laws garden, first pick of the crop, very impressive. As much as I love the Summer produce I have to say that I am very happy to have Fall in the air again, it is my favourite time of year. With the blue skies and crispness in the air. Starbucks have their pumpkin spice late out now and I had a chocolate cupcake with pumpkin frosting from Prairie Girl Bakery yesterday, yummy! Thank you to Megan who dropped the treat off in work for me, it really made my day!

No comments:

Post a Comment