Monday, August 15, 2011

Saganaki with Kefalotyri cheese.



How beautiful does that look?! Yep, I know, and it tasted just as amazing!

I was round at my old neighbours place for dinner on Saturday, it is nice to be back in the same neck of the woods and to be close to old friends. We had been discussing during the week about what we wanted to eat and neither of us could come up with anything until the day before when Krista text me to say she had found the cheese that the Greeks light on fire and yell Opa! Greek it was. She found some lovely slouvaki skewers at Kensington Market at the same time. I was bringing some salad stuff and was in charge of dessert but because I was working that day I worried that I would have to opt for a bought dessert or maybe just some really nice chocolate from a new chocolate shop. They make chocolate the old fashioned way with just cocoa and sugar! It is very tasty! I digress, as per usual. Saganaki.

So she had this beautiful hard cheese called Kefalotyri. Apparently there are a few cheeses that you can use to make this. They got a cast iron pan heating on the bbq until it was smoking hot. In the mean time, Krista cut the cheese and ran it under the tap. Instead of patting it dry she tossed it in flour. It then got fried in oil in the really hot pan and put straight onto our plates.

We didn't flame ours, but we did drizzle it with fresh lemon juice and olive oil and top it with tomatoes, olives, oregano and cracked pepper. It was delicious. The cheese is really firm, and salty, with crisp edges from being fried. It didn't 'squeak' against your teeth like haloumi does. It is a must! I can't wait to eat this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment