Friday, August 12, 2011

Cream of Buckwheat.



My new favourite thing is cream of buckwheat. Yum! I found it while looking for a breakfast cereal that didn't have wheat in it. I am also eating less carbs and buckwheat is a complex carb so it is better one to eat in general. It seems to be another of those extremely good for you foods along with my old favourite quinoa! It is actually the seed of a fruit rather than a cereal or grain and is very popular for it's gluten free properties. You can find it in noodles (soba) or pancakes and it is even used in making gluten free beer. I did some Googling of it and there was lots of positive things to find.

It was easy enough to make this 'porridge'; bringing some milk or water to the boil, adding the buckwheat, returning to the boil, reducing heat, simmering for set amount of time. No problems! It is actually smoother than oatmeal porridge which I was really pleased about. I used to love Cream of Wheat, and this was getting pretty close to that. I also make corn porridge occasionally but I find it takes a lot of cooking.

It is a great way to start the day, I put a little brown sugar on it and it's good to go! Very filling and keeps you full for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment